The internet is filled with resources that claim to teach you how to become better at sales. 90% of those resources are useless "sell-me-this-pen" kind of bullshit. The remaining 10% are well-thought-out and intelligent but they miss the mark of what sales essentially is at its core.
Sales is about people. Notice I didn't use the word customers. I desperately try not to. The moment you label them as customers (or clients), you draw a line between you and them - as if they were lab rats.
People need help. You have to be an expert at something and your agenda is to help people with the thing you are an expert at, a product, a service, your knowledge - anything.
How do you learn to do that as naturally and humanly as possible? By getting better in the following areas.
- Human behavior
There are plenty of books that can help you with these.
Here are some do's and don'ts.Do these:
- Always be curious about understanding why people do the things they do.
- Practice talking to people without sounding desperate.
- Not listening enough: Trying to talk more than required.
- Making people feel stupid or inferior: Look at me. I'm so smart.
- Talking to people in a language they don't understand: Fuck your jargon. Learn to speak their language or talk to them like you would to a child.
- Trying too hard to be persuasive: Just be simple. Simple is persuasive.
That's it. You now know most of what the best sales people on this planet know. Hope you make good use of it.